Monday, August 20, 2012


Captain and First Mate Start Out

Following their arrival in Morehead City and the boat-wash, the guys cleaned up and we went for dinner at the near-by Ruddy Duck. We had a good nights sleep (especially well-deserved and needed for Bob and John) and then Bob headed home in the car I'd driven up from Hilton Head. John and I departed on the boat. It was a gorgeous day, sunny, not too hot, nice breeze. The trek across the Pamlico Sound was smooth and easy. We arrived at our destination – Dowrey Creek Marina, Belhaven, NC – around 3. The marina has a nice pool, so while John opted for a car race on tv, I took a swim. One thing I really miss while boating is the ability to get exercise, so for me a marina pool is a treat and something I like to take advantage of .

I'm not the only one that misses the ability to get exercise. Our dogs miss the daily, long walks they get at home (and associated opportunities to use the grass ashore, if you know what I mean!) On the boat they're often required to “hold it” for more hours than I'm content with. So this year, inspired by another boater's blog, we brought along three pieces of sod for the aft deck. Previously we've tried lots of techniques, but nothing seemed to work. Without going into all the details, let me just say that we were successful and there were lots of “good dog”s going on and treats dispensed!! I think I'm more relieved about their good progress than they were in accomplishing it!

Leaving Dowrey Creek the next morning, we continued on toward Coinjock, North Carolina. If you've never been there, and get out a map to locate it, good luck! It's one of those “if you blink you'll miss it” kind of places. But we have had some fond memories of past stops there with our kids, and they do have a couple of fairly good restaurants. Plus the two marinas there are eager for business. We like to support the little guy. The day turned cloudy and a drizzle became a downpour (with lots of yellow and green on the weather radar). By the time we reached the marina in Coinjock not only did I need my rain jacket, but my rain pants as well. The next morning things were about the same. We opted for running from the pilothouse and not the bridge. We don't have many days like this but when we do we're always so thankful for our efficient, spacious, and comfortable pilothouse. I wouldn't have a boat without one. Sailboaters that we pass are crouched in their cockpit, dressed in their foulies, and braving the elements. Better them than me.
By midday the skies were clearing and it was back to the bridge, our favorite place to be. After a stop for fuel we cruised into Norfolk, Virginia. What an awesome spot this is, and seems like a huge city after leaving northern North Carolina. There is a ton of river activity, commercial barges and freighters, and most impressive are all the naval ships, including the aircraft carrier, The George H.W. Bush. Some friends had invited us to tie up at their dock in the heart of town, just a block away from the recently retired destroyer, The Wisconsin. I am a big fan of things military, so it's a thrill to cruise through Norfolk. Tomorrow we are off to conquer the Delmarva Peninsula.

No comments: